About The Mississippi United Methodist Foundation, Inc.
Purpose of the Mississippi United Methodist Foundation:
The purpose of The Foundation is to serve the mission needs of The Church through its unique ministry of planned giving and stewardship of gifts received in trust for those ministries. The Foundation serves The Annual Conference as it meets the needs of donors and encourages the continual dedication of new resources to fulfill the many unmet needs within The Church.
The Foundation is a "servant" of The Church’s members, local congregations and The Annual Conference's agencies, institutions, mission projects and special ministries.
Investment & Finance Committee – The Foundation has a 15 person Investment Committee that oversees the management of the investment portfolio and works in conjunction with an independent investment consultant to monitor and evaluate the asset allocation, investment strategies and investment managers.
The Investment & Finance Committee also shall examine the operations, the accounting controls and the integrity of the financial statements. The external auditors report directly to this committee before reporting to the full Board of Directors.
Investment Policy Statement
Foundation has an investment policy statement that states the objective of the Foundation and provides investment guidelines for asset allocation
Benefits of Investing with the Mississippi United Methodist Foundation:
- Asset Allocation – The Investment Policy Statement ensures that the Foundation will employ a broadly diversified, conservative allocation. The Foundation’s allocation to low‐volatility fixed income securities cannot fall below 25% of the portfolio. The current allocation to bonds and cash is 39%.
- Diversification – The Foundation believes diversification among asset classes (stocks, bonds, real estate, long/short equity, and cash), investment strategies and investment managers to help mitigate risk. The Foundation employs ten different investment managers across seven different investment strategies which results in exposure to hundreds of individual securities.
- Economies of Scale – Because the Foundation manages a $77 million portfolio, the Foundation can access investment strategies and investment managers that would be difficult to access by the Foundation’s constituents.
- Superior Performance – The Foundation has outperformed six-month CDs over the last 16 years (12/31/93-12/31/09) by 74% cumulatively.
- Liquidity – Unlike many Certificate of Deposit investments, the Foundation allows its constituents to withdraw funds with minimal notice and with no withdrawal penalty
Download an overview of the Mississippi United Methodist Foundation
The Foundation has a strong history and bright future helping to benefit United Methodists in fulfilling their ministry of Christian stewardship. Our purpose is to enable the Church in the achievement of her God-appointed missions providing resources that strengthen the ability of United Methodists to be faithful stewards, discover the joy of giving and philanthropy while advancing Christian ministries.
Please choose from a topic area on the left to learn more.